Shalimar Gardens:
Five kilometers east of old city are the famous Shalimar Gardens laid out by Mughal Emperor Shah-Jehan in 1642A.D. The Gardens are spread out in typical Mughal style and are surrounded by high walls with watchtowers at the four corners. Originally, the gardens were spread over seven ascending terraces, but only three remain now, which cover an area of about 42 acres. The brickwork of the floors of the three terraces has been repaired according to their original designs that differ on all three terraces. There is a marble pavilion under which water flows and cascades down over a carved, marble slab creating a waterfall effect. Across the waterfall, is a marble throne. At the end of the second terrace is a beautiful structure called Sawan Bhadon, a sunken tank with niches on its three sides. Water cascades down from it in sheets in front of the niches, producing the sound of falling rain. In the olden times, oil lamps were placed in the niches, which reflected myriad colors, through the water. Shalimar Gardens have the privilege of being the stage of all-important state receptions. Outside its walls, the annual festival or Mela Chiraghan (Festival of Lamp) is held every March. Special lights on the first and the second terraces of the Gardens have been installed and the area is illuminated half-an-hour after sunset.

 

 

Minar-e-Pakistan:
Minar-e-Pakistan is the landmark of Lahore that stands in the Iqbal Park to commemorate the date (23 March) when a resolution was passed here back in 1940 demanding creation of a separate homeland for the Muslim of South Asia. The Minar (tower) is a blend of Mughal and modern architecture and has been very boldly designed. It is about 60 meters tall.

 

Kim?s Gun or Zamzama:
Immortalized by Rudyard Kipling in his accounts, is this famous gun now popularly known as the Kim's Gun. It is placed just outside the Lahore Museum on Sharah-e-Quaid-e-Azam in front of the old campus of the Punjab University.

 
 

MOSQUES OF LAHORE

Wazir Khan ?s Mosque:
Reputedly the most beautiful Mosque of South Asia is located in the old part of the town just off the Kashmiri Bazaar. Hakim Iimuddin, generally known as Wazir Khan, who was a Minister to Shah Jehan, built the Mosque in 1683 A.D. It is a marvelous specimen of tile work and arabesque paintings.

 

Badshahi Mosque:
The Imperial or the Badshahi Mosque is across the country from Alamgiri Gate of the Lahore Fort. Emperor Aurangzeb, the last of the great Mughals, built the Mosque that is made up entirely of red sandstone in a record time of two and-a-half years. It was completed by 1674 A.D. It has a beautiful gateway, which measures 21.33 meters in length, and a courtyard that measures 161.5x160.6 meters and is said to be the largest mosque courtyard in the world for outdoor prayers. The marble domes cover seven prayer chambers. Four lofty minarets stand at the four corners of the mosque, each with an outer circumference of 20 meters, soaring up to 54 meters. In the chambers above the Gate of the mosque, are housed relics attributed to the Holy Prophet of Islam (Peace be Upon him), his daughter and his son-in-law and are said to have been brought to South Asia by Amir Taimur. Within the Mosque, almost all the colors have been used to paint the floral designs but the overall effect remain one of sobriety, piousness and simplicity.
Back  
Next

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Developed by Pegasus International Copyright (c) 1995 - 2007.
Pegasus International. All rights reserved.(Disclaimer Clause)
Best viewed at: 800x600